How to Choose a Builder
We offer a range of architect designed properties for sale which can be viewed on our properties page. These are set offerings where we have already done the hard work of going through the land selection and design process, creating quality properties without the stress typically associated with home building. We can also design and build for you, turnkey packages for investors our speciality. New Homes, Apartments, Townhouses, Commercial and Industrial Buildings.
We recommend you view our range of properties and the quality of our work at our display homes before selecting your own block, you may find the building process much easier and more enjoyable. Our new set offering approach to building is designed to ensure your home is finished on time, on budget and to a display home quality of finish.
We have prepared the following information to help you in choosing a builder that does offer these services if you decide that is really what you are looking for. Before selecting a builder, there are number of questions that you should ask, including:
Qualifications & Experience
- Are the owners/manager of the company themselves degree qualified and licensed builders? – It is important to have a qualified builder considering the value of investment at stake.
- Are they members of the Housing Industry Association (HIA) and Master Builders Association (MBA)?
- Do they have an annual contract works insurance policy and qualify for indemnity insurance?
- How long has the site manager been building for?
- Does the company own commercially established office premises? (to ensure you can get in contact with them)
- Do they use leading award winning architects and interior designers?
- Do they use quality brand name inclusions?
- Have they won multiple industry awards? How many over what period?
- Does the company have display home(s), and guarantee you at least the same quality of work and finish?
- Do they offer Builders Guarantee in writing? (e.g. $500 per week liquidated damages for late completion, display home quality of finish)
- Is the quote professionally presented and fully inclusive upfront? (ask for a written quote) – many quotes exclude items that are essential for any new property (e.g. flooring). Ensure that everything you expect to be included is explicitly listed in the quote.
- Design service available and working with you to suit your budget. Please ensure you advise us in writing before plans are started of your budget, inclusions required, desired home size, and provide a land survey. Before paying your sales consultant any money for design drawings ensure you have recieved a written estimate based on the information requested above. Note that where custom design is being undertaken final costs can not be determined until after the architect has completed some sketches, after this time the design may need to be increased or decreased in size and features to meet a final budget.
True total cost
- We include allowances and advise about all possible costs before your sign contracts.
- Is the quote in writing, including all site costs, bushfire costs, EER, approvals, as what you see at the display home. As for a checklist within our colour brochure to be sent to you.
- We promise to provide you full upfront disclosure on all possible costs to finish and move in that we maybe aware of. Make a list and ask us if your not sure whats included.
The above list is not exhaustive, but is intended to provide you with an overview of the types of information you should consider before selecting a builder. Remember, when selecting a builder you will be forming a relationship that will last at least one year. You need to be comfortable and confident that you can trust them to deliver on time, on budget and to the quality standard you expect.